As the result of the government propaganda, anti-American and anti–Western sentiments have became very popular in Russia. An ordinary Russian deeply believes that the war in Ukraine and most of the wars were started by USA.
This summer one could see on YouTube a video where Russian students interviewed in a Moscow street were stating that the WWI was between Russia and USA.
Lately such sentiments became the main content of most of Russian media publications.
Here is a very typical example. This week a known writer and blogger Nikolai Starikov wrote:
“WHY AMERICANS PUT FIRE ON UKRAINE? They put fire on Ukraine to start burning down the entire Russian world. Never forget this.”
It’s easy to find dozens of the similar statements in the Russian media.
On December 24 Russian Orthodox Church official spokesperson Archpriest
Vsevolod Chaplin made an official statement through the INTERFAX News Agency:
“It is not incidentally that Russia by cost of great sacrifice stopped all the global projects that were not matching our conscience, our understanding of history, our understanding of God’s justice: Napoleon’s and Hitler’s projects. We’ll stop American projects as well…
“Russia is the center of the world, and may be the only center that has more reason to be so than European countries or USA.”
Russian stores started selling toilet paper with American flag printed on it. The paper is very popular in spite of the fact that it is twice as expensive then regular toilet paper.
Floor mats looking like American flags appeared this week in a shopping mall in the center of Moscow.
The 14-year daughter of my Russian friend participated in her High School Christmas show. The main characters of this show, as with all Russian traditional Christmas shows, were Grandpa Frost (Russian variant of Santa Claus) and his grand daughter Snow Maid. But in this show these characters had a protagonist – President Obama.
Obama was introducing sanctions forbidding Russian children to dress festively and to enjoy themselves. Obama forbids Grandpa Frost and Snow Maid to visit Russian children. Then a new character – a Russian Granny appears. She orders Russian children to wash Obama’s dirty black face. Children do it and Obama is defeated. The celebration of Christmas starts.
Here is a headline from one of Russian web sites:
Two comments of Russian readers on this article:
– “What kind of cretinism can these men reach in the pursuit of world dominance” Creating new, more powerful weapons in order to frighten those who do not obey their management principles of world order, bringing civilization to its end. Crossing all limits to meet their ambitions, trying to show the world their power, it does not matter which way, just to achieve their goals …”
– “It is time for Putin to stop bury his head in the sand, to stop making speeches on ‘the peaceful coexistence’ and begin full preparations for space warfare.”
Some more Russian headlines of this week:
• “On November 27 Russian Aerospace troops have recorded the launch of two foreign ballistic missiles. Another missile was spotted on 29 November.”
• “The center areas of Russia are now defended by two Air Defense divisions equipped with the latest technology.”
• “Russia deployed more troops in the Arctic”
“The latest anti-missile system Pantzir-C1 will be put not only on tanks but also on ships and on the roofs of buildings.”
The Nationalistic web sites publish even much more shocking materials, such as this Russian medal for taking New York: